Gloucester Fishing Industry—1700s
historical timeline of the fishing industry in gloucester
January 14, 1700 – William Stevens and Ensign Joseph Allen signed a deed with Samuel English, grandson of Mascanomet, granting the tract of land known as the township of “Glosster” for the amount of seven pounds.
1713 — According to tradition, Capt. Andrew Robinson’s shipyard built the first schooner in Gloucester’s Smith Cove
1770 — Essex ship builders built 15 ton Chebacco Boats used for shore fishing (200 in use by 1800)
1776–1782 — During Revolutionary War, Grand Bankers were left at wharves and only Chebacco Boats were used close to shore.
1783 — Treaty with England provides for Canadian fishing banks to be open to U.S. fishermen—Grand Banks fishing resumes
1790–1863 — Gloucester was a busy port receiving and sending ships (barques and brigs) worldwide for trade, most notably the Dutch Guiana, or Surinam
1793 — Lowells Boat Shop in Amesbury starts building dories for Gloucester fleet
1799 — over 300 fish houses on Cape Ann